Maybe it’s been the summer weather, spring break, the fact that avocados were on sale this week…or a combination of all of the above. Whatever the case may be, I’ve been craving the flavor explosion that only zesty lime and fresh cilantro can bring.
This salad most definitely hits the mark.
It’s healthy quinoa meets all the nommy Mexican flavors you know and love: lime, cilantro, avocado, jalapeños, black beans…nom, nom, nom!!
Plus, it can be thrown together in a pinch.
So, without further ado, may I present to you: Quinoa Taco Salad!
Quinoa Taco Salad
(Serves 4 to 6)
- 3 to 4 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup uncooked)
- 1 clove fresh garlic, peeled
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 5 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 to 5 T jarred jalapeños, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup black olives, sliced
- 15 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 2 tsp ground cumin (or more!)
- Sea salt, according to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 5 T fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
Rub the garlic on the inside of a large glass or ceramic bowl.
Like most quinoa dishes, this recipe is equally delicious served warm, chilled, or at room temperature. If you do make it ahead of time and chill it, I would suggest adding a pinch of extra cilantro and cumin just before serving.
Nom away!! Go ahead. It’s good for you.