Lately we have been finding incredible deals on squash! Acorn squash, summer squash, and the feature of today’s post: spaghetti squash!
Of course, the experimental chef in me is having a blast dreaming up all sorts of new ways to enjoy squash and all of its nommy goodness.
After all, not only is squash delicious, but it’s also equally nutritious. In fact, spaghetti squash is loaded with immune-supportive vitamin A and free radical-scavenging vitamin C. It is also a great source of enzyme-promoting manganese and dietary fiber. Not to mention, it’s a good source of heart-healthy folate, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, bone-building copper, and vitamin K!
For those of you that haven’t yet tried spaghetti squash, here’s a great way to introduce yourself! Not only do you get all the aforementioned health benefits of the squash, but you also get the nommy nutrition of cauliflower (you may remember me singing its praises in the past), mushrooms, olives, coconut oil, and fresh pesto.
Oh yeah, and it tastes amazing, too.
What more could you ask for??
Spaghetti Squash with Fresh Basil Pesto
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1 T virgin coconut oil*
- 1 1/2 pounds chopped boneless, skinless chicken breast (if available, marinate the chicken in yogurt whey to add an extra-amazing dose of tenderness)
- 1 head cauliflower
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp. natural, all-purpose seasoning
- 20 Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 batch Fresh Basil Pesto (you will probably end up with a bit left over — but you can never have too much pesto!)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
*If you order by clicking on any of my Tropical Traditions links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a FREE book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.